Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Technical Help

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:32 am 

I am in the process of importing my entire CD collection into iTunes which is going well except for one problem.

Two of my CDs start to import then pause just a little way in then stop. A message appears stating "Error occurred while converting the file [title of track]. The required disc cannot be found." Then the disc is spat out.

Any ideas how I can get these CDs into iTunes please?

P.S. I am doing this work with a 2 month old iMac and an Apple SuperDrive.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:57 am 

First thought is almost too obvious to mention (so please don't take offence :) ), but have you checked for dust or scratches on the offending discs?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:34 am 

Highmac wrote:
First thought is almost too obvious to mention (so please don't take offence :) ), but have you checked for dust or scratches on the offending discs?

Yes. (No offence taken!) I can't find any obvious scratches or dust but I have cleaned the CDs thoroughly and still the problem persists!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:47 am 

Try the SuperDrive in another USB port.

I have found iTunes to be temperamental when I connect my iPhone in one USB port but not another.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:17 am 

CDs and DVDs can be temperamental. I have a DVD which seems to have the hole slightly off centre, it vibrates a lot and reads halfway through the disk making increasingly loud ch - ch - ch - ch - ch - ch - ch - ch noises and then jams! Then it becomes completely stuck and I can't get the dam thing out. Slot loading drives may look very nice but can be somewhat impractical on occasions, a tray drive is much better for problem disks. Try a different CD reader drive.

But eventually I did get it out (twice - I won't be putting it back into that drive again! I've made a note on it in magic marker). After fiddling a lot, violently rotating it, and restarting and resorting to Terminal drutil eject - it came out. Fortunately the drive was no longer built into my Mac, I could manhandle it.

......................Or in New York City

.............Tina Louise & Hazel & Mavis
Can you name, name, name, name them all today
Can you name, name, name, name them all today

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:31 am 

I will take the above-noted comments on board when I get home fronm work tonight but meanwhile here's an update.

At work I have access to a Windows 10 PC and I have just downloaded both of the problem CDs to iTunes with no problems at all (other than it took an age compared to the lightning speed of my iMac at home!)

Because I downloaded the CDs to iTunes on the Windows PC using my Apple id will they appear in iTunes on my Mac when I get home tonight?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:46 am 

No.

You could always find the files in the PC iTunes library and copy them to a USB stick. You could then import them from the USB stick into iTunes on the iMac.

As I don't use a PC I am now guessing the exact procedure...

To find the files click on a song in iTunes and then right click and look for the PC equivalent of 'Show in Finder'. Choose that and open the enclosing folder. Then copy the files to the USB stick. When home, plug the USB stick into your iMac and then drag the files to iTunes.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:15 pm 

Jonah wrote:
No.

You could always find the files in the PC iTunes library and copy them to a USB stick. You could then import them from the USB stick into iTunes on the iMac.

To find the files click on a song in iTunes and then right click and look for the PC equivalent of 'Show in Finder'. Choose that and open the enclosing folder. Then copy the files to the USB stick. When home, plug the USB stick into your iMac and then drag the files to iTunes.

I'll try this later.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:20 pm 

Julian wrote:
Jonah wrote:
No.

I'll try this later.

In the end I burned the CDs in the Windows 10 PC to a blank spare recordable CD I had and then imported them into my Mac later. Worked a treat!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:34 am 

Did you try the IT special, a restart.

What I ended up doing for my record collection a while ago, was to just download the music with acquisition. As I had already purchased the vinyl so also the license for the music. I don't think that is the case now though :oops:

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Board index » Technical Help