[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - iPhone recommendations
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: iPhone recommendations
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:14 pm 

If I were to get hip and groovy and get with the happening scene, man, I might go out and buy a cool iPhone. But I don't want to buy a new one - I'm happy with one that's a year or two old. If I did that what would be the best value for money do you think in the secondhand market?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:39 pm 

If you don't want a new one then get a 5, 5c or 5s second hand.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:06 am 

I like my stuff to be good condition, and the iPhone 5 scratches too easily around the metal band. I'd love a 5S, but I don't know what they are like price wise at the moment second hand.

My other half has a 5C which is essentially a 5 with a plastic rear shell. Hers is about 18 months old and is still in perfect condition. Looks nice too. Anything in the 4 range I'd avoid purely on its life cycle. I know there are millions of people out there still using them, but if I were looking to buy I'd be considering no less than a 5. Nice and light in comparison too.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:12 am 

The 5c was only released on September 20th last year so it's not 12 months old yet Dan.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:14 am 
Site Admin

If you want to save a few quid, wait until the middle/end of September.
There's likely to be a wash of used iPhones on the market with folk wanting to finance the purchase of the iPhone 6. As the 5s will then be last years model, it should then be a bit cheaper than it is now.

Choice of iPhone wise, I'd keep away from the 4S or below, they'll soon be unsupported by Apple. 5, 5c & 5s will be supported for a number of years yet, so you'll be able to keep up with the ltest iOS and security updates.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:56 am 

Thanks. I'll wait a bit.

Is it possible to jailbreak them still? I don't really want a contract.

Best place to look for deals?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:24 am 

Jailbreaking is possible still but personally I don't see the point.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:33 am 
Site Admin

You should be able to buy one that has been unlocked from the carrier OR unlocked by the carrier for the original owner before you buy, it's free, just takes a phone call but some mobile network providers will only do it for the original owner.

This is not the same as Jailbreaking. That is where you put third party software to the device to remove some restrictions set by iOS. This normally leads to HUGE security holes and unreliable hardware and as BBW says, pretty pointless these days.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:18 pm 

Depends what you want but I've just bought an 18 month old iPhone 4S unlocked for £120. Immaculate condition. The owner has upgraded to a 5 and is now waiting for the 6 - just wanted the cash quickly. I just looked around for a month or so until the right priced one came along. I also sold a 3GS on eBay so there is still a ready market for good condition phones.

Apple TV4
AirPods
plus several other Macs around the house

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS