Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:10 am 

I rarely use MMS, but the other day a friend sent me a couple of photos from her iPhone 3G S. When I got them, I clicked 'save image' and they both went into my camera roll. However, when I went into the camera roll, I found two issues:

1. I could not tap either of the photos to select them. If I wanted to view them, I had to tap the preceding image, and then scroll across to the saved MMS images. Then I found the second issue...

2. The images had both been saved in a zoomed state. The photos were both professional portraits she'd had done, but all I had now was a blurred close up of an unrecognisable face!

It went from this (original MMS, full screen):

to this (how it looks in camera roll):

And it doesn't show up in iPhoto, either:

I tried saving the images a number of times; she even sent them again in case they hadn't transferred correctly, but it was all to no avail. In the end I had to do it another way - I simply viewed the MMS full screen and then took a screenshot.

Anyone know if this is a known issue, a bug in IOS, or I was just unlucky? This was my first time using MMS on iPhone; I've used it before with Nokias and SE phones, and I've not had this issue before.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:00 pm 

I know this will be of no help to you whatsoever, but I've received many MMS on my 3GS running 4.0.1 and never had any problems. My feeling would be the sender's phone is at fault. Are you both on the same network?

2011 Mac mini, Mac OS X Lion ... The "new iPad" (iPad 3) ... 4th Gen iPod Touch ... iPhone 4S ... Ubuntu 11.10 ... Windows 7

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:18 pm 

As far as I know, we're both on China Mobile, yes. It could well be something to do with her phone. I'll ask someone else with a different phone to test an MMS tomorrow!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:02 pm 

I can't help with the MMS issue but I've found that if I edit a photo on the iPhone (e.g. using the Photoshop Express App) the saved image behaves like your example - blank with a dotted outline. So that may be something to do with you editing it on the iPhone.

iMac 21.5" 3.20GHz Intel Core i3 12GB 10.13.6
iBook G4, 1.33GHz 10.5.8
iPhone Xs Max
iPadMini2

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:05 pm 

I'll second that about editing photos. It is quite often like that when I use Photoshop Express and also when I'm importing a photo taken using Hipstamatic.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:51 am 

Well I managed to get someone else with a completely different phone (Nokia N93i) to try an MMS, and it worked perfectly, so I'm guessing the problem was with the original sender's phone!

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS