[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Silent camera on the 5s?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: Silent camera on the 5s?
 Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:16 pm 

I'm finding the ubiquitous "clack-clack" (well, something like that) my phone makes every time I take a picture somewhat tedious. Why does my phone have to pretend to be a Minolta SRT 101 (etc)? It's not. It doesn't have a complicated horizontal shutter arrangement as found in a single lens reflex – we've moved on.

A Google search suggests that it's illegal to have a silent camera in Japan (other countries?). But as far as I know there's no such prohibition in the UK, so I'm surprised it can't be silenced here, especially if imported and sold here.

I know minimum volume reduces the shutter sound; mute does silence it, and finger or thumb over the speaker does too, but how to select a silent shutter as a norm?

Does anyone have any ideas/work-arounds, and what's the thinking behind this?

Thanks...

Lorimer

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:18 pm 

Mute switch is the only way. I think it is definitely something to do with legal reasons why you can't permanently silence it.

Jail breaking may be a way round but it's not worth it in my opinion when you can just use the mute switch.

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:57 pm 

yes correct - mute switch works

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:20 pm 

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:34 am 

Interestingly, the mute button has no effect on this phone (it's my sister's, bought on eBay). The only way she can mute the sound is to play a song and slide the volume to zero. This only works for one picture though.

There is an extremely useful little Apple repair business in my home town of Guildford run by two Poles. They repair while you wait which is an essential asset for repairing a phone. I put this problem to them and they say they can correct this (replacing the mute button or some other part?). The job might take an hour and the charge would be £40. So I guess there's an option for a rather tedious little snag.

Lorimer

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS