[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - iPad OS 15 - Home screen
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: iPad OS 15 - Home screen
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:16 pm 

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from 14 to 15.

In terms of my usual usage the changes are trivial. Except for the Home Screen: in 14, the widgets were on the left, and the bank of app icons were squeezed into the remaining space, but perfectly usable. NOW, in 15, widgets are along the top, and I only have 18 app icons below in 3 rows of 6, with a massive amount of space between them. The remaining icons I had on Home are now on Screen 2, so I've lost at least 6.

How do I get the icons back on the Home screen? I'm happy to keep the widgets there, but I don't want app icons spaced apart so much that I've lost some to the next screen. Yes, I know I can do stuff with App Librarys and stuff, but I don't want that, I just want to see needed icons in front of my eyes where I can just tap them once. I rarely ever went to Screens 2 and 3, I don't want to start now.

[ii forgot to say that I'm talking about landscape which is how I've locked my iPad]

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:42 pm 

You might need to eat (er, bite) another bullet or two. They go well with a 2014 Merlot.

As far as I can see – if you wish to use widgets and landscape mode locked – here is what is available:
From the main home screen, swipe right. That should reveal – for you at present – an empty page with only the word "Edit" being present and "tapable".
Tapping on it, reveals "Customize" and then the widget library. Add whatever widgets you wish to use, and they will be on this screen.
You can then, I assume, remove them from your main home screen. That leaves scrolling back and forth from that main home screen and the widget screen. And, of course, the widgets are not visible when on the main home screen.

I think that this is your only option, given your stated preferences.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:38 pm 

Do you mean "swipe right"? That takes me to Screens 2, 3 and 4, where apps I don't access often live.

What I don't get, is why Apple have spaced icons so far apart that you only get a limited number on each screen.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:10 pm 

"Swiping right" describes your finger motion. It reveals the screen to the left.

I think that I am using the term correctly.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:00 pm 

Ah yes. That always confuses me, as does what Apple calls a 'natural' scroll, which to me is unnatural.

I have now swup right and revealed a widget bar. Now all I have to do is work out how to get the widgets FROM my Home screen TO the widget bar. Wiggling the icons doesn't seem to do it...

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:21 pm 

On the widget screen, there should be an ‘edit’ button. Tap it, then the
+ button and go from there.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:28 pm 

From memory (perhaps tomorrow not from memory):
The left-most screen - the widget screen - is independent. You edit/customize that screen with whatever widgets that you wish to appear there. Adding and removing.

There is no [from the Home screen to the widget screen]. You remove those Home screen widgets by tapping on the minus sign, or choosing something like "remove" from the pop-up menu.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:03 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:14 pm 

"So 'Remove' just takes it off the Home Screen, not off the Widget Bar?"
I encourage you to answer that question yourself.
Experiment. Just do it.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS