[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - iPhone vs iPad backups to iCloud
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:26 pm 

I noticed that my iCloud was 350MB away from being full. I deleted some photos and got to around 500MB.

However, when I looked at Backups, I noticed they were using about 1GB. The iPad - which I've had for ages and a day - took up 300+ MB. The iPhone, which I've had only months and is essentially a clone of the iPad, was 700MB+.

Two questions:

1. Why is the iPhone backup over twice the size of iPad when they are effectively the same?

2. After reclaiming the space of the iPhone backup by deleting it, will that affect me at all? And after I charge the iPhone before going on holiday with it, will that create a new backup, which I must then also delete?

Core i7 2011 21.5" iMac 12,1 2.8 GHz 16GB RAM OS X 10.9.5 1TB SSD & 128GB SSD

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:49 pm 

Buy more iCloud storage - cheapest option it 79p a month. If you delete back ups you will one day live to regret it.

iPhone has all the phone gubbins in the OS, iPad doesn’t. I assume that may make a difference.

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:50 pm 

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:09 am 

Initial set up would be for setting up your iCloud account and things like Mail accounts.

I wouldn't set up my iPhone from my iPad as I have different things on them. If you want to, then that's your decision. It depends if you have EXACTLY the same things on both. Extra iCloud storage at 79p a month is not a lot of money for an extra 45GB of space.

For information - my iPhone back up is 4.1GB compared to my iPad back up of 43.2GB.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:40 am 

Small iCloud backups for me too. 554MB for iPhone and 537MB for iPad. The backups don't contain the OS or apps, just data. There is very little of that. I don't carry round photos (I hardly take any) thought they are all on iCloud outside of the Photos app on any Apple device. I find that app useless at cataloguing but that is a digression, so sorry. I agree, 79ppm is reasonable especially if you do have many photos as they can be storage hogs.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:17 pm 

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:41 pm 

Depending on how you set the iPhone backup it will run automatically when next on charge.

Settings > yourname > iCloud > iCloud Backup > Off - then it won't until you flip it on again. I'm actually sure you know that.

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:28 am 

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:24 pm 

I really don't understand why you don't want to back up your iPhone.

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:00 pm 

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS