Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:42 pm 

My Series 6 Apple Watch, running v.8.6 used to unlock my MacBook Pro, but after a restart of my Mac, it no longer does.

In Preferences>Security & Privacy>General, I no longer see the line:

"Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac".

I've searched Apple Forums and other "trying-to-be-helpful" websites, but they all start with the assumption that the Security tab gives the option of selecting auto unlock.

My phone is connected to my watch, and unlocks it each morning and I regularly use my watch for payments and many other things, but it seems that it is not recognised any more by my MacBook.

Would anybody have any ideas please?

Many thanks,

Lorimer

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:26 pm 

You don't say if you have tried anything. Here's some trying to be helpful steps you need to try:

It needs Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to work. Are they active on the Watch, iPhone and Mac? If so, have you disabled them, restarted all and and re-enabled?

Check they are all signed in to the same iCloud account. Again, sign out, restart everything and sign in.

I had this in he early days of Watch/Mac unlocking but danged if I can remember what I did. It may have just been an OS update - they were all updated today so maybe start there if you have't got to it yet. I also had it that ticking to allow unlocking wouldn't stick. I wish I had something actually helpful.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:47 pm 

Thanks Loughor, I didn't say all the details because I left them as done – which they were.

I had a 40-minute conversation with an extremely helpful Apple Advisor in Albania (who spoke perfect English) who eventually sorted it for me. To be honest, I don't know what was the magic action which solved the problem, but, by giving her access to see my Mac's screen, she was able to sort it.

Apple's support is Wonderful! The number we all need to know (just in case we can't fix the problem ourselves!) is 0800 1076285.

Lorimer

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:12 pm 

Yes, Apple support are usually spot on. Always good to get a solution, mystery or otherwise, 'phone or chat.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:43 pm 

My (original) Apple Watch occasionally decides not to unlock my MacBook Pro as well but I have always had "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac" still visible in security, it just wouldn't work. Resorting to a restart of the watches always fixed it

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:28 pm 

My 6 sometimes fails to unlock my iMac but I press <esc> to sleep it again then tap shift to wake and it gets it that second time. Nothing to get me into a rage, and I can be brusque at times.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS