[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Do Not Disturb
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: Do Not Disturb
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:12 am 

Is the side-button that turns off the ringer simply the "hardware version" of the software Do Not Disturb?
Forgetting about the complicated software versions of DND (various "focus" modes; accepting calls from only your cat (if she calls more than once), etc.), is there any difference between the simple DND mode and turning off the ringer with the side control?

Post subject: Re: Do Not Disturb
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:37 am 

Switch on the side will silence the phone but doesn't turn off vibrate.

MacPro (2010) quad core macOS 10.15.7
13" (2011) Macbookpro OSX 10.10.3
15" (2017) Macbookpro OS 13.3
iPhone 11 iOS16
Original iPad wifi

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:49 am 

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:57 pm 

DND will stop notifications.

Switching the ringer to silent will not.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:04 pm 

What Gail said.
(Thank you.)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

Sound from video will still play audibly though with the hardware mute turned on.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:40 pm 

Thanks for the continuing information, and distinguishing features about these two.

At night, I leave my phone on/sleeping. And I have been using is scheduled DND because I do not want the phone to ring after a certain time at night, and before a certain time in the morning.
I have now canceled that scheduled DND, and use the side-slide to turn the ringer off.
I think that this works better for me. Some mornings – if I wake up before the DND period is complete and want to hear incoming calls - I need to cancel the setting completely. And then remember to turn it back on for the next evening.

This new way – turning the ringer off – requires me only to turn it back on, and nothing more.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:01 pm 

You can set DND to allow repeat calls - callers ringing again within 3 minutes will get put through.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS