Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post subject: Predictive Text
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:51 pm 

Is there any way to modify Predictive Text? For instance, a really annoying thing my iPhone does, is to add a 'z' just before the closing inverted comma. For instance... 'this is yoursz'. If I'm alert, I can see that the closing inverted comma on its own, is offered in the left hand correction box, but I often miss that and have to go back to delete the 'z' once I've spotted it.

Why does it do this and is there any way to correct it? It would be helpful if my phone would recognise the name of my house for instance – Fairview, rather than Fairies or (strangely) Airbus. I thought predictive text was meant to 'learn', but this is quite a few years later...

Thanks,

Lorimer

Post subject: Re: Predictive Text
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:11 am 

Your iPhone has learned this behaviour, either by accident (likely) or a shortcut has been created. Check in Settings ▸ General ▸ Keyboards ▸ Text Replacement to see if there is a shortcut. If there is, delete it and it *should* fix the issue.

Alternatively you can go 'nuclear' and go to Settings ▸ General ▸ Transfer or Reset iPhone ▸ Reset ▸ Reset Keyboard Dictionary so the iPhone Dictionary is completely reset and all custom words are deleted. It's the big hammer approach but I've had to do it a couple of times over the years to fix (apparently) small issues similar to yours.

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS