[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - iPhone keeps record of everywhere you go
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:07 pm 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... vacy-fears

This is not a problem for me but just in case it is for anyone else :lol:
If I wanted to hide my location for any reason I would not take any mobile device with me let alone a smart phone. They would still need access to your phone or computer to steal the data.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Mine shows locations for places I've NEVER been and NEVER for my home.
Bit of a crock really.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:25 pm 

Just tried it its a load of crap.

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:12 pm 

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:14 pm 

The app from here http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/

It tracks me to places i have never been to and does not show where i have been.

14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:47 pm 

Location: MacBook Pro13" 2.2GHz 10.10.2 4GB RAM 500GB WD Hard Drive 10.8.5 + iPhone 6 16GB
Well, It kinda works for me but it's very inaccurate. It's put me in London, Leipzig and Berlin where I have been, but it's also put me out in the suburbs and parts of all three cities that I have never been to.

"The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%."
Douglas Adams

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:01 pm 

Utter rubbish. It says I've been to Lincoln and I've never been near the place in my life let alone since I've had an iPhone. It also says I've been to other places I've never been near.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:23 pm 

Does it still work if you keep Location Services switched off?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:33 pm 

How I read the article - yes.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:53 am 
Site Admin

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:59 am 

https://alexlevinson.wordpress.com/2011 ... discovery/

14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:21 pm 

Yep, rough approximation at best. I've never been to Liverpool but apparently my phone thinks it has. And the last time I went to the Isle of Wight was in 1986, which predates my iPhone by a good 20 years plus.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:27 pm 

If it logs you as having been to Liverpool when you have never been there, is it true to say you have been within range of a Liverpool mast? Otherwise, what use is this data to anyone if it's so way off-beam?

In any case, this data is not shared with anyone, it is not transmitted to Apple or to anywhere else. I suppose the only reason to be concerned is if you are feeling secretive about your movements and someone nicks your phone...

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:35 pm 

The closest I've been to Liverpool is Manchester (and haven't travelled through Liverpool) or the M6. Certainly not bang in the middle of Liverpool city centre and there must be hundreds of masts nearer to where I have been than that.

As for the IoW, I can offer Basingstoke as the closest I've been there with my phone.

This data is worthless really.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:01 am 

The App doesn't even work for me. Keeps coming up with an error message:

"Couldn't load consolidated.db file from '/Users/greenwoodma/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup'

So I can't even say the location tracking is crap. Can say that the app is though :)

21.5" iMac running OS X El-Capitan with 20GB RAM
iPad Air 2 64Gb Silver iOS 8
Samsung Galaxy S6
Kindle Paperwhite
Nikon D3000; 10-20mm, 18-55mm, 55-300mm

Board index » iPad/iPhone/Watch/iPod Touch/iOS