[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Internet speed, ISP reviews
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:35 pm 

VM are doing more speed upgrades from Oct 1st - for free. Have a URL to their press release.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:31 pm 

They did away with their cable service around here 6 years ago so that means nothing to me.

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:51 am 

I see from the VM site that I can now apply to switch to their Vivid200 BB. I'd have to cough up for the p&p of a new Hub. Although the download speed would go up, there's no change on upload, which stays at 12mbps. I feel that is a little cheap of them. Not that I upload stuff, I just know that BT beat this on their Infinity (not available to me).

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:25 am 

I keep asking Virgin about upload speeds and they always answer that people only care about download speeds. Basically they don't want to do anything about it.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:30 pm 

This afternoon I received the kit from VM to go back with them for TV. I upgraded the BB speed from 50 while I was at it.

Neat.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:36 pm 

Upload speed is important now as a lot of us use cloud based services that benifit greatly from upload speed. I think we should all bombard our isp with complaints over this issue.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:52 am 

ADSL means "asymmetric digital subscriber line". Asymmetric in the sense that, technically, on a line that is already deliberately being run as fast as a long and noisy line will allow (which was never actually intended for high-speed digital signals anyway); some upload speed is sacrificed for increased download speed.

Most users have ADSL, so there's not necessarily anything your ISP can do about it, without installing a different technology.

Just saying...

I must agree that, unlike the early days of t'Internet when people mainly just downloaded stuff, increasingly symmetrical speeds are needed more and more now, as things such as the Cloud, local media servers, open NASes, video-calling, etc., proliferate; requiring increasing local upload volumes.

(from my ADSL line, with <1.2 Mbps download, and <0.3 Mbps upload). :(

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:26 pm 

Hyperoptic do 1Gb down and 1Gb up, so if they can do it i see no reason why Virgin cant.

https://www.hyperoptic.com/residential- ... -only=true

iMac 24" M3 16Gb ram 512 SSD
14.2
iPhone 12 64Gb Blue
Linksys velop
Community fibre 150MBdown 150MBup.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:29 pm 

Do you have a fibre to your house? If not, are you prepared to pay to have it installed? And for the equipment at the exchange end?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:09 pm 

I'm with virgin so they can offer a better upload speed. As for paying to have fibre to the door. This cost should not be more than you would pay to have a phone line fitted.

My dad worked for BT for over 40 years. In the 80's they where laying fibre cables so they shouldn't have any excuses really.

As for the exchange, that's not our problem. Our forefathers didn't pay to have exchanges built or upgraded, that was the gpo's job. I work for Royal Mail. Would you expect to pay for a new sorting office just so you can get your mail quicker ;)

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end." Douglas Adams.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:02 pm 

My normal download speed is 2-2.5meg with TalkTalk. Just over a week ago, it plummeted down to 0.6meg and stayed there. Upload speed never changed.

I was on the phone to tech support yesterday for about an hour. They did whatever they did and got it back upto 1.7/1.9meg. They agreed that it wasn't what it was and are sending a new router.

We'll see if that nudges it back up.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:32 am 

Unexplained slowdowns can be caused by Windows10 computers on the same network.

Windows10 has recently been doing some major updates, and you can't turn updates off on Windows10. Any Windows10 PC(s) in your house, on the same router, may be "hogging" all the bandwidth with their background downloading. On an already-slow line, this "hogging" can last for hours.

The only solution is to just let it get on with it, assuming you want the Windows10 PC to upgrade. It will pass.

However, this may not be the slow-down's cause at all! :D

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:14 pm 

I have ADSL - as most of us do.

My download speed is typically - in fact, just about always - 20 times my upload speed.
My download speed occasionally suffers a hiccup; my upload speed never does. Sometimes, it even improves a tad during a download-slowdown!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:25 pm 

Todays test, just for fun.

Wifi connection with other assorted gizmos using the connection throughout the mansion.

No issues.

Don't forget, I live in the middle of nowhere.

Your warning level: [ 1 ]

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:50 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Couch