[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
mac4mac.co.uk • View topic - Home DIY project...
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Donate    Amazon Affiliate

Board index » Couch

Post subject: Home DIY project...
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:10 pm 

Hi guys.

In my ever lasting quest in which if I have time to do nothing, it means there's always time to do something, I've embarked on another DIY home project. This time it's the cupboard under the stairs. We have a straight staircase, with one door at the tallest end. Upon entry...well, you couldn't really. You open the door, stick your hand in and pull the hoover out. Totally impractical and a space hog:

Also, (no offence to anybody who has it), but the tongue and groove was horrible. It made the hall feel quite dark and was a little over-powering. So, off it all came...along with the guts of the cupboard:

When it was tidied up, it was surprising how big and open the hall felt, and how many things there weren't in the cupboard: the space can be managed so much better:

So, thats the guts ripped out. The plan now is to create something like these:

They're like pull out drawers. This means all the space can be used under the stairs, and we can put all our shoes in the small end one too. We'll be putting a door back on the tallest end as thats where the boiler is, but I'm aiming for 3 drawers: one for hoovers, ironing board, mop etc, the middle for general bits and pieces, like tool box, cleaning items etc, small end, shoes.

I thought I'd put a post up here as there are a few things I have doubts about: and although not a woodworking forum, I didn't know wether anybody here had done anything similar or could maybe throw some advice or pointers my way? The basic internal construction will be like timber stud work, and the drawers will be either ply or MDF (not sure which is better to be honest?). The bit I'm most unsure about is the finish. I know thats a long way off yet but it could affect how the internals are built first.

Whats the best way to finish it? Do I make the drawer fronts full height (as in, up to the balustrades)? What material do I use above the door? The door will only be 7ft, which leaves a 3ft space above it: do I get that plaster boarded and skimmed, or do put a wooden panel above it? If that is the way, what wood should I use as it's going to be painted? And that goes for the drawer fronts too: they're going to be painted, (the drawer will be made, and then a second front added giving the front a double thickness, of which the top layer will be the painted layer).

I know it's a looooong post, and probably nothing like anybody has done: but I was trying to avoid joining several woodworking forums, to get either no response as a 'noob', or sarcastic ones telling me I should have left it alone etc...:lol:

So, any advice or pointers welcomed!
:D

Post subject: Re: Home DIY project...
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:03 pm 

Lovely! And useful. I can't offer even a tiny bit of construction advice. But, if you want to see some similar ideas, head over to and put "closet under stairs" in the search field. There are 13,573 photos. You might spot some finish details that will further inspire you. Houzz is my favorite place to steal ideas.

2 Mini 2.3GHz Core i5 OSX10.7 / MacPro 2GHz DC Xeon 5130 OSX10.7 10.4 & WindowsXP / MDD 1GHzDP OSX10.4 & OS 9.2 / iBook G4 1.2GHz OSX10.4 / 9600/300 PPC OS9.2 / iPod 20GB 3rd Gen / iPad Wi-Fi 16GB 1st Gen iOS5 / iPhone 4 GSM 16GB iOS7

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:12 pm 

My advice would be to employ the services of a Master Carpenter.

I think there may just be someone on the forum...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:38 am 

Thanks for the idea Nancy. There are some very glamorous and very cool ideas there: the bookcases that reveal hidden rooms are very cool. I did see a few ideas that have helped me make my mind up on a few things, so very helpful...

BBW: ha ha-I did actually contact JCT initially-he suggested putting a post up here too which he might contribute to, but the idea was to see if anybody else had any ideas. I knew it'd be a bit of a long shot-I've got an idea how I'm going to do most of it anyway, but never hurts to hear others opinions (even if they are wrong :lol:).

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:52 am 
Site Admin

I'd suggest using MDF and painting it, you can 'get away' with a few errors here and there with some two pack filler, plus it's relatively cheap and easy to use.
For the runners, I'd use some heavy duty full extension, like or . Not the cheapest option, but you don't want them failing in a few months time.

12.9" iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard, Pencil 2
21.5" iMac Quad Core i5 8GB RAM (Plex Server) ~ iPhone 15 Pro
AirPods Pro ~ Apple TV 4 (64GB) ~ Linksys Velop Mesh Wi-Fi

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:55 pm 

@James

Not trying to be devil’s advocate or anything, but am curious about the uses of MDF board. I sort of knew what it was, but didn’t really know, so I did a little google research. Anything that says to were a respirator while working with it and to seal the exposed edges, makes me think twice about wanting to be closed up inside the house with it. I know old houses (at least over here) usually have asbestos, lead based paints and any number of other carcinogens lurking in their building materials.

I realize Daniel is not planning to turn the space under the stairs into a bedroom for little Harry Potter Moore, but I saw lots of fantastic uses of that space for things like a bar or food pantry, over on the Houzz website. I don’t know construction/woodworking materials but I do know the food business. The (US) National Sanitation Foundation has rather strict guidelines on what products can and can not come into direct contact with food in the preparation process.

Are there different grades of MDF? In my cookery shop, I sell They have been certified by the NSF for use in food prep. So, I know there are some fiber and glue boards that are safer than others.

2 Mini 2.3GHz Core i5 OSX10.7 / MacPro 2GHz DC Xeon 5130 OSX10.7 10.4 & WindowsXP / MDD 1GHzDP OSX10.4 & OS 9.2 / iBook G4 1.2GHz OSX10.4 / 9600/300 PPC OS9.2 / iPod 20GB 3rd Gen / iPad Wi-Fi 16GB 1st Gen iOS5 / iPhone 4 GSM 16GB iOS7

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, MDF comes in lots of different types and makes. I think MDF was actually banned in the USA before the way that it was manufactured there was changed. The adhesives used to bond together are carcinogenic when in a dust form. However, once is has been worked, it is quite safe to be around.

Info about the safety of MDF .

For a painted finish MDF is fantastic, no other timber based product can touch it for quality.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:33 pm 

The council had banned MDF from all its schools & offices etc in my area, due to carcinogenic properties of it.

Macbook Pro 2.53 ghz - OSX Yosemite
iPhone 6 64GB (White) Unlocked
iPhone 5 16gb (white) Unlocked
iPhone 3G 16GB
iPad 2 16gb Wi-fi
G4 iMac
iPod photo
Ipod Touch 4g 8gb
iPod Nano 4gb
Apple TV
1961 Vespa VBB150

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:52 pm 

They're expensive runners: but I agree, they do need to be good quality. I may get a set of the £64 runners for the middle drawer as it's going to have more in it. I guess James that you get the prices as you're registered? I cannot see pricing info anywhere.

In other news, I've worked out the spacing and sizes with some wood today. It's just a rough for the time being as it needs a little adjustment: the walls etc are a bit inconsistent in their measurements being an older house. Not huge, but enough to throw a spanner in the works today. Thats it for the time being, I'll (hopefully) be starting the frame properly next weekend.

I'll not start a new thread, I'll just continue here with my progress. Just the one photo today! (NB: I will be putting a set in the hoover drawer and boxing it to protect the mains Gas pipe obviously!):

The hoover is staying where it is but will accompanied by my work coat and bag along with the broom/mop & bucket , and the centre one will (at the moment anyway), be divided into 4 sections. A horizontal and vertical division so when the drawers opened up you can have things both sides. And as before, the end one for shoes. Just the two pairs for me, that no doubt will end up buried by Shaneeka's (but at least this way they're not piled up at the bottom of the stairs!).

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:03 pm 

You might want to think about vent holes for the gas meter / pipes just in case there is a leak. You don't want gas in a sealed box. (makes a big bang)

I would think about boxing in the cat litter ( Although that might have the same effect)

'If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people'
Tony Benn

l l

Last edited by Mike Smith on Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:16 am 

Looking at the houzz site again, there are some nice ideas for adding a cat access door, that would also allow some venting for that meter too. The cat (or cats) probably doesn't care if the meter is in the kitty potty room.

Shame the meter is in the tallest part of the space under the stairs. However, you seem like a creatve guy, and might come up with another idea for using the upper part of the space for something else.

Our entry hall is much like your's, but without the built in area. Under the stairs is occupied by a 1930's vintage phone table, a hall tree/coat rack and an endless amout of stuff. Our stairs seem to be a magnet for things that just get dropped there and dog hair. Our stairs regularly have enough dog hair on them to make another dog.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:59 am 

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:49 pm 

Well, the stud work went up today. Next phase is to order the drawer runners (I have sourced some now, thankyou JCT), and to paint all the woodwork. Quite pleased with todays progress: every things square and level....I guess this was the easy bit! :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:36 pm 

Board index » Couch